Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Huckabee Flip Flops On Taxes


Mike Huckabee realizing that no one is buying it anymore
"Nobody's going to find some YouTube moments of me saying something radically different than what I'm saying today."

- Mike Huckabee 10/21/07 on FOX News




On Huckabee's website, he claims to have been responsible for extensive tax cuts while Governor of Arkansas. He claims, "As Governor of Arkansas, I pushed through the Arkansas Legislature the first major, broad-based tax cuts in state history - a $90 million tax relief package for Arkansas families. I also doubled the standard deduction to $2,000 for single taxpayers and $4,000 for those who are married. Some taxes I eliminated entirely: the marriage penalty, bracket creep caused by inflation, income tax on poor families, and capital gains on home sales. To encourage investment, I cut capital gains for both individuals and businesses. To help people better themselves, I provided tax credits for employee training and education. In total, I cut taxes and fees nearly 100 times during my ten-and-a-half years as Governor, saving the people of Arkansas almost $380 million."


However, that is not the whole story. He also *begged* the legislature to raise taxes. However, don't take my word for it, the video is on YouTube, and is presented above for your enjoyment.




Huckabee was confronted on this on Fox News. He claimed that it was in response to a court ordered funding increase for schools. However, his campaign had to retract that because the truth was that this was to cover expenses in the general budget. When Mike Huckabee says he beleives that government spends to much and the people are over taxed, remember that in Arkansas, he believed the people were undertaxed and the government needed to spend more. Remember Rev. Huckabee, the Bible says you should not lie.


No comments: